Testing, testing, 1,2,3
There's a quirky Cole Porter song, called Experiment. It was probably rather risque for its time, as it suggests all manner of things, not only those things scientific. Probably to do with mind-changing materials of the recreational kind, and kinky deviant behaviour (many of you know that Porter's personal situation couldn't have been weirder; his very open, permissive wife Linda gave her husband full freedom so he could pursue personal experimentation of every kind.)
And so, I have decided to take up the Porter challenge. However, this week, my guinea pigs have been unwitting individuals who may merely suspect that I don't really know what I'm doing.
For example, I've been writing Phrasal Verb short stories to help people learn the meanings of simple verb plus preposition/adverb combinations. I've also been writing Listening exercises that are supposed to facilitate the listener's comprehension of prepositions of time, place and movement. I've also written some allegedly 'fun' Pronunciation activities.
I've used all these materials, untested, on my students.
To varying degrees of success, I might say.
My findings have shown that what I do need to do in future is more experimentation on my facial expression. I have to learn to mask horror when I think a student has completely misunderstood my didactic intention, or hide my dismay when they cannot parrot back to me what I thought was made so painstakingly clear through my examples.
In my case, experimentation may possibly not be being carried out in the best forum i.e. in the real, commercial, dare I say it, 'paying' world.
Still, we laughed a lot.
And that's what Cole says. I can look forward to loads of merriment if I continue to experiment.
Experiment
by Cole Porter
Before you leave these portals to meet less fortunate souls,
There's just one final message I would give to you.
You all have learned reliance on the sacred teachings of science
So I hope through life you never will decline
in spite of philistine defiance
To do what all good scientists do.
Experiment
Make it your motto day and night.
Experiment
and it will lead you to the light.
The apple on the top of the tree is never to high to achieve,
So take an example from Eve,
experiment.
Be curious,
though interfering friends may frown,
Get furious
at each attempt to hold you down.
If this advice you always employ,
the future can offer you infinite joy
And merriment.
Experiment
and you'll see.
And so, I have decided to take up the Porter challenge. However, this week, my guinea pigs have been unwitting individuals who may merely suspect that I don't really know what I'm doing.
For example, I've been writing Phrasal Verb short stories to help people learn the meanings of simple verb plus preposition/adverb combinations. I've also been writing Listening exercises that are supposed to facilitate the listener's comprehension of prepositions of time, place and movement. I've also written some allegedly 'fun' Pronunciation activities.
I've used all these materials, untested, on my students.
To varying degrees of success, I might say.
My findings have shown that what I do need to do in future is more experimentation on my facial expression. I have to learn to mask horror when I think a student has completely misunderstood my didactic intention, or hide my dismay when they cannot parrot back to me what I thought was made so painstakingly clear through my examples.
In my case, experimentation may possibly not be being carried out in the best forum i.e. in the real, commercial, dare I say it, 'paying' world.
Still, we laughed a lot.
And that's what Cole says. I can look forward to loads of merriment if I continue to experiment.
Experiment
by Cole Porter
Before you leave these portals to meet less fortunate souls,
There's just one final message I would give to you.
You all have learned reliance on the sacred teachings of science
So I hope through life you never will decline
in spite of philistine defiance
To do what all good scientists do.
Experiment
Make it your motto day and night.
Experiment
and it will lead you to the light.
The apple on the top of the tree is never to high to achieve,
So take an example from Eve,
experiment.
Be curious,
though interfering friends may frown,
Get furious
at each attempt to hold you down.
If this advice you always employ,
the future can offer you infinite joy
And merriment.
Experiment
and you'll see.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home