Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Update on the invalids

Some somewhat surprising, but not alarming, news to share.

My first and second day of Dutch Christmas (they don't have Boxing Day here but spread the joy over two days) were spent holed up at Annie Romeinverschoorstraat (that's our street name), in bed.

Oooh, you think. But no, nothing so romantic.

It all started with the reheated Indonesian take away left-overs we lazily decided to eat on Christmas eve afternoon. I will spare you the details, but let it be said that I was involved with some painful writhing followed by a midnight date with the dreaded porcelain train.

In the morning after a few sorrowful calls to the in-laws (Edwin: Hi mum, it's Edwin. What should we do, Jane is sick? What is she allowed to eat?), my proudly nick-named "Galvanised" stomach these last 31 years (or "Galvie" to friends and family) had to admit defeat to food poisoning. We had to advise that we could not make the 35 km drive to Christmas dinner.

So, what did Ed's darling parents do? They came all the way to Eindhoven to fetch us, but I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow. So they went all the way home.

An hour later, Ed's Dad turned up with our Chrissie presents and bags of groceries (as we nincompoops hadn't exactly bought enough provisions for two sick people for two days)! Jan drove a total of 140 kms on Christmas Day. I can't thank my sweet future-in-laws enough!

Unfortunately Ed's been ill for a month now as well, so we two sickies stayed in bed the rest of the day, and tried to look after each other. Unfortunately, my prognosis stayed the same on Tuesday, so no Christmas cheer at all for either of us, I'm afraid.

Alas, Edwin's Christmas present to me was a return train trip to Berlin as well as a Rough Guide to said destination, so I could catch up with Georgie again for a handful of days; but I was supposed to depart at 5.35am this morning ... As it is, I haven't left Holland and I would have been too unwell to go on my holiday, but it was a beautiful gift and thank you a million times for giving it me, darling Edwin. I'd rather look after you and keep you company at any rate. (Sorry Georgie!)

However, happy to say I am on the road to recovery, and so is Edwin, as each day goes by.

We met with Ed's parents finally today so I could give them my Chrissie present and thank them for their help and support over Christmas. They tell us it might sort of snow tomorrow (you know, they say, the small flakes. I don't. I've never lived in a snowy area!). I'm looking forward to it, and also to a healthy 2007! Same to you all!

In a sort of cer-aaazy way I must admit was rather cosy to spend two days lounging around in a warm bed with my beloved during Christmas. Added to the fact that I discovered that Edwin didn't much mind my watching the 1995 BBC version of 'Pride and Prejudice'and was quite taken by the whole thing. Darling Edwin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home