Wanted: English teacher, native speaker, no experience necessary
If you've been following my blog you may know that the kind people at Regina Coeli took me on sometime back in October. On Monday I finally started work. *
So far, I've had three days' training, and it's been very intensive. The coffee there is very good. So good that it may be the 3.20pm caffeine hit that's giving me insomnia, but I'm more inclined to believe it's anticipation for the next day combined with extreme nervousness about wearing the new title of "Docent Engels" (English teacher).
The highlight for me is the staff. All very intelligent, passionate, upbeat people. They all love where they work and what they do. It's such a change for me. Well, to start with, to have a job again, and also that this is a place where I believe I'll feel belonged - with people who have myriad other interests (some are artists, writers, former Pop Music History lecturers etc), who are complete grammar nerds and yet are great communicators (important to note, as the teaching is one-on-one).
More to come from me in future blogs. Meanwhile, it's back to the books, literally. I'm borrowing a fairly hefty tome from Lenise (fellow rookie at Regina Coeli), called "Learn how to teach". I have 3 and a half weeks until I start giving lessons. If you have any spare luck lying around ...
throw it my way.
* Back in August 2006 I saw a fortune teller, Master Ng, in Hong Kong on my way from Australia to the Netherlands. I asked him about how things would work out with Edwin (!) and whether I'd get a job. Master Ng said that Edwin had an oval face with a pointy chin, was very kind and liked to plan. All true. He also said that I wouldn't get a job in 2006. Then he changed his mind, said I'd get a job in October, but that the real work would start in January/February. Well, if I can find Master Ng again (if I go back to Hong Kong), I'm going to ask him which numbers to choose for the next €20,000,000 jackpot!
So far, I've had three days' training, and it's been very intensive. The coffee there is very good. So good that it may be the 3.20pm caffeine hit that's giving me insomnia, but I'm more inclined to believe it's anticipation for the next day combined with extreme nervousness about wearing the new title of "Docent Engels" (English teacher).
The highlight for me is the staff. All very intelligent, passionate, upbeat people. They all love where they work and what they do. It's such a change for me. Well, to start with, to have a job again, and also that this is a place where I believe I'll feel belonged - with people who have myriad other interests (some are artists, writers, former Pop Music History lecturers etc), who are complete grammar nerds and yet are great communicators (important to note, as the teaching is one-on-one).
More to come from me in future blogs. Meanwhile, it's back to the books, literally. I'm borrowing a fairly hefty tome from Lenise (fellow rookie at Regina Coeli), called "Learn how to teach". I have 3 and a half weeks until I start giving lessons. If you have any spare luck lying around ...
throw it my way.
* Back in August 2006 I saw a fortune teller, Master Ng, in Hong Kong on my way from Australia to the Netherlands. I asked him about how things would work out with Edwin (!) and whether I'd get a job. Master Ng said that Edwin had an oval face with a pointy chin, was very kind and liked to plan. All true. He also said that I wouldn't get a job in 2006. Then he changed his mind, said I'd get a job in October, but that the real work would start in January/February. Well, if I can find Master Ng again (if I go back to Hong Kong), I'm going to ask him which numbers to choose for the next €20,000,000 jackpot!

1 Comments:
And guess which nerd is out with a lost voice today, after teaching two newbie nerds some things... Coincidence? Hmmm... Let's turn things over to the members of the jury.
Post a Comment
<< Home