Sunday, February 18, 2007

A religious experience?

Well, not quite. I'm referring to my first carnaval here in the Netherlands. Apparently the carnaval festivities start on a Saturday and are supposed to go until the Tuesday*.
Further south of where we are, offices are closed at least on the Monday, if not the Tuesday as well. Carnaval is a festival in the Catholic parts of the Netherlands (and other parts of Europe too!) to celebrate the 40 days prior to Easter, to let loose in the colder months and to have a good time with friends. And to get dressed up in disguise ... and for many, to get rip-roaring drunk.

Anyway, Sister Edwina and I (we had just taken our vows with the order of De Nonnen van Vught - Regina Coeli) got into our nonnen-mobile and made our way to watch the Eindhoven optocht (parade). While there, we turned more than a few heads and learnt to bow reverentially to the innumerable sinners all around us.

At first Sister Edwina started preaching about the foibles of drink. But, sometimes things get to the point where you think, ah, if you can't beat them ...


To be honest, an hour of observation was all that I really needed, and we got some good shots of some of the kids, who really get into it. Families, too. It was fun, I have to say. And I vow that the beers in those pictures above were just the one beer. I solemnly swear it. And I don't lie. I'm in the habit. (Don't you love those laboured jokes? Aheh).
*Shenanigans of a different type are to be expected this Tuesday when the Arsenal vs PSV football match goes off at Philips football stadium. Only 700m from my house. Great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home