Saturday, October 14, 2006

Mary's turning 1 today!















When my niece Mary was born 12 months ago, I felt like the "first aunt". Ever. In the world.

She is truly a miracle. I look at my sister sometimes and we giggle conspiratorally after I whisper with delight, "You've got your own baby! A baby of your very own!"

Sigh. There's really something about her.

I wrote her a poem for her first birthday which I sent to Australia in a card with a bejewelled frog on the front. From her very first days, we knew that she would like frogs.

Here's how it goes:

One sunny Saturday
sat the little green frog
on his lily pad in the pond
by the magical fallen log

"It's time for a birthday!"
cried the little green frog
"I spy balloons and cake
near the magical fallen log!"

"Mary is turning one today,"
sang the little green frog
"I'll dance and leap for her
by the magical fallen log."

Well, I like it.

Happy birthday little girl, my little Mary.
Though I'll see you on the webcam soon, I'm still looking forward to squeezing you lots when Ome* Edwin and I come to visit you in March/April 2007!

love, your Auntie Jane
*("Ome" is the Brabants way of saying "Oom" - not a typo ...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home