Thursday, October 05, 2006

I've arrived!



I can't believe it took me four minutes to physically set up my blog, when I've been contemplating its conception for the last 2 and a half years!

Anyway, I've partly named this blog Chasing Paradise because at the start of the year I read a book by Australian returned-expat journalist, Sonia Harford, called Leaving Paradise. It told her story of settling for some years in Amsterdam and Rome. Previous to that, I had read My 'Dam Life by Sean Condon about his stint of three years in Amsterdam. But let me tell a little more of my story.

I have been meaning to get off my "all talk, no action" bum and do the overseas adventure that has been in the planning for ... what is it now ... 10 years? Of course, almost everyone under 30 in Australia thinks about a working holiday pilgrimage abroad when they're at uni. I managed to get as far as New Caledonia for some study in 1996 and then a bit further to France for some lovin' in 1997. But I wasn't really grown-up enough to just leave everything and everyone I know to have a whole chapter of my life take place in another country.

Let's go back to 2003. Ah, those heady days in the marketing department at Blockbuster. There I sketched out some very rough blueprints ... to escape the ceaseless horror of churning out bad-film reviews ('bad' as in bad-quality films, not bad-quality reviews, okay?). My "working-holiday-abroad-but-it-won't-be-in-London-because-everyone-does-that-so-have-you-considered-the-Netherlands?" harebrained idea was born.

Fast-forward to sometime in April 2006. At this point I was working at Singleton Ogilvy & Mather, advertising. Fearing that the 10 to 14 hour days would actually make me melt down into a messy pool of skin and hair somewhere in studio, my bosses tell me I'm taking a two-week holiday. Then on cue, owing to the promise of a particularly beautiful sunset and the falling of four special stars, enter Edwin from Eindhoven ("Oargh, whereabouts is that?" twangs Jane), in the Darwin YHA pool.

Three months later, I've turned up to Amsterdam's Schipol airport ready to start my new life in my new home in the Netherlands with this new guy I've spent 4 days with. I know, it's weird. It was fast! Four months ago I didn't know a word of Dutch and today I am an official resident of the city of Eindhoven. It says so in the gemeente huis computer.

So now I'm chasing my paradise, but it involves three palm trees, not just one. Mine's a dream of having a european city as a base to explore the northern part of our planet; it's also about relishing the challenge to find work in a country whose language I'm determined to one day speak fluently; and finally, I'm set on capturing that elusive thing called love. (Awww).

And what a great start, to have one part of the three-pot paradise pursuit absolutely full to the brim. Yep, I've got love; in oodles, astonishing mountain ranges, great big swathes and thrilling, shadowy valleys of it.

7 Comments:

Blogger thomas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoi Jane,
Dit vind ik fantastisch! Echt heel ineressant om te lezen wat je allemaal doet. Luxembourg is mooi, hè? Schrijf je nu goed Nederlands of moet Edwin je helpen? En je spreekt en begrijpt nu ook veel meer. Ik geef je Blog adres aan iedereen in de klas want ze vinden het beslist heel interessant wat je schrijft.
Het is nu geweldig in Nederland voor jou en ik denk je hebt geen spijt dat je daar nu woont. Wat doe je als Edwin op zijn werk is? Is het moeilijk om een baan te vinden?
Hier heb ik het veel te druk met studenten die Frans en Nederlands willen leren maar vooral Frans. Maar na 15 november zal het heel wat makkelijker zijn.
Heel veel plezier en volgens mij kan je dit allemaal goed volgen.
Heel veel groetjes,
Renée

2:47 PM  
Blogger Mao said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Chasing Paradise said...

Hoi Renée
Mijn Nederlands is nog niet zo goed, maar probeer ik. Edwin vaak mij helpt, dat is waar.
Ik ben heel blij in Nederland. Het is niet zo makkelijk als Edwin op zijn werk is. Maar doe ik veel dingen; ik het huis schoon maak (!), ik de boodschappen doe, ik ga naar mijn yoga les of mijn Nederlands les, ik drink met mijn vriendinnen veel te veel koffie .. en ik schrijf voor deze blog.
Het is moeilijk om een baan te vinden, dat is zeker, maar heb ik al drie sollicitatie gespreken gehad. Ik denk dat de vorige sollicitatie zal een baan worden. Het is an functie bij Regina Coeli, in Vught. Misschien zal ik een Engels docent zijn! Grappig toch? Volgende week zal ik meer weten, en dan zal ik je te het over vertellen.
Heel veel groetjes aan jij, Hans een iedereen in de klas!
Jane

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,

Great blog. It is such a good site! I like the photos, they are a nice touch. It is like reading a feature article with pictures of the subjects.

Never mind the teaching job starting in Jan. Just relax, enjoy the lead up to your first Northern Christmas and experience life as a stay at home wife. And first Christmas with Ed.

I can't wait for Christmas - it is such a nice time of year. Mary's first one too!

Love,

Melanie

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,

Good to see you are getting out and about after finishing your first novella. Are you two getting fit and losing weight, with all the bike riding? All that chocolate though...hmmm, must even out the exercise.

Not much news here. Went to Mary's playgroup Christmas party on Sat at 6pm. She was a sheep in the nativity play and it was so funny. So many tired kids and babies! She went up to the manger and tried to play with the baby Jesus doll, then another toddler told her off and grabbed it away from her. The playgroup director crawled up on stage to rescue the Jesus doll and gave it to the little girl playing Mary. Then our Mary gave the Mother of God Mary the cloth that the Jesus doll was wrapped in, so Jesus could be wrapped in it again. So cute!

Going to Ceres farm in Collingwood today I think. Lance still hasn't found work and we are a bit concerned. Keep praying something turns up. He has applied for quite a few things and called back Skilled labour Agency, but no luck so far.

Cheers and say hi to Ed,
Mel xxx

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jane,

Saw the pics of your trip to London. I visited a friend yesterday, an Irish woman, and she said not to go to London as it was sooo expensive. Is that true? I said we would visit Clare and stay there and be fed by her, but Tanya insisted it would still be horrendously expensive, especially for poor student/housewife us. Did you love London?? Are you going there again?

What's news? When you say you won the novella comp, did you win anything particular like a trophy or big fat cheque? Have you started work yet?

Sad to hear about Dad's health isn't it? But good it is manageable and hopefully reversible. I was shocked because Dad is so health and diet conscious. Anyway, he is taking it easy and mum is looking after him very well and he took the rest of the school year off.

Did I tell you I am in a competition to lose weight with Catherine and Ann Mariadason? I think I am winning so far. He he he. $300 buckeroos coming my way come Jan 1st 2007 if I win, which of course I shall... I have lost 3.5 kilos so far. Only fell of the diet wagon a couple of times and then quickly back on it.

Lance still looking for work but keeping busy writing computer programs and making an insect robot. Hope you and Ed are well and hope to hear from you soon.

Mary is walking a lot now, and so funny. She has 8 teeth.
Love,
Mel xxx

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home