On the road again
shall I post past experiences (such as the "Jewellery Store Robbery in Eindhoven Centrum", "Parking Lombardia", "Dutch Theme Parks", "Bored one Friday with a can of whipped cream").
Edwin's taken me to almost every corner of this tiny country. We've been as North as Dokkum and as south as ... well it was Belgium, but, Antwerp. We've been to Rotterdam, Haarlem, Groningen and Wageningen.
To be fair, Edwin decided I should have a go at driving here. As you can see from the pictures, Ed is very patient and sits quietly, especially when plied with paprika flavoured Wokkels. (Taste like Toobs, remember them?, but shaped like spiral pasta).
Okay, I admit it, it was a bit weird driving on the other side of the road, to begin with.
Things Ed says are: “You must continue to steer when you change gears, darling”. This is because I tend to veer left while holding the steering wheel with my left when my right hand is engaging the gears. It's like my arms are lever-actioned; when the right hand goes down, the left hand goes down in the opposite according way.
Here's a conversation Ed and I once had -
Ed: "Now you must follow all the signs to Nijmegen, darling."
Jane: "So do I turn left here?" upon seeing a Nijmegen sign with an arrow indicating where to turn.
Ed, patiently but a little higher in tone: "No, you turn right here, darling."
Jane, brightly: "Oh darling, that's what I meant. I just chose the wrong word."
We weren't speaking Dutch.
At this stage (I've been driving maybe 5 times now), I'm still trying to come to grips with the gear stick being on the right side of the seat. When I climb into the drivers seat I still try to pull my seat-belt down from the top-right, even though there is only air where I'm reaching.
But with Ed as my instructor, the driving lessons continue. He's been trying to get me to drive without him (what's that all about, eh?), but I refuse, because I'd still get lost here when I'm on foot or on my bike. With or without a map. (Example last words before being seen again for 4 days - Jane: "Darling, I'm just going to the corner shop to get some milk. I'll practise my driving, so I'll take the car. Is that okay? Bye! Bub-bye now!")
Don't be fooled by the pics - I am not driving. I was the photographer on the journey when Ed drove us to Friesland. I'm not a suicidal maniac brandishing a camera from behind the wheel!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home