Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Europe: last blog entry

On Sunday we decided we would just simply drive home, to Eindhoven. It´s only 719km away. Unfortunately we had stayed up watching a movie until 2am, so didn´t set off until 9.30am. After many stops for resting, lots of German late Sunday night traffic jams, we made it home at 11.30pm. I have to fess up. Many of you know that while I like to drive a regular sized car and am reasonably good at it, I am rather hopeless at managing a camper, let alone parking it. I did try to convince Edwin to let me drive back in Hungary but he said he was enjoying it (or did he just not trust me ....?) so he drove the entire way this holiday.

Oh, a little aside, remember the sweet Swiss couple Werner and Denise that we meet back in Week 2? We were going to drop in to see them at the end of our trip but ran out of time. They were travelling too while we were away, so we missed them. Anyway, we have been emailing and hope to see them on another purpose-trip. Werner has some cool instruments I want to try out! We're gonna jam together. Yeah!

Before I close off this incredible experience, one that won't fast come to us, here I leave you with some statistics:

Days away – 77
Kilometres travelled – 9000
Campsites visited – 35
Number of countries visited: 8, (or 9 if you can include the border crossing fora bout 10km into Bosnia-Herzegovina) Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Germany, Switzerland
Number of countries wished to be seen, but couldn´t (never mind, next time!): 2 – Poland and Greece
Languages spoken (or attempted) – English, German, Italian, French
Books read by Jane: 13, with about 9 started and still being read
Photos taken by Edwin: 6000
Diary notes for blog written by Jane: 98

This entry is somewhat an anti-climax, but I can't think of anything else, still processing such a wonderful time away, and trying to put away all the stuff we managed to fit in the camper (I think there were about 100 books in there in the end, I kid you not).

Out of puff, but filled with admiration, wonder, inspiration and gratitude after learning all about Europe's three most important facets; it's people, places and things, I am going forward now to settle back into life in Eindhoven, and resume a life that what felt once to be complex and unwieldy, and approach it with simplicity and grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home