Thursday, March 05, 2009

Only a heartbeat away

I live very close to Eindhoven's pride and joy, the PSV football stadium. Stadiums are where the big boys (usually) gather to demonstrate their prowess in the areas of running, ball-handling (or ball-footling) and agility. Beings with super human powers to wow and delight their supporters. Giants.
And lately there seems to be a new resident with a very big heart at PSV stadium. A giant, indeed.
Since early January, there have been works done on the stadium property. The giant's been brought in to prepare the earth for the foundations of a three-level carpark. His work emits a rhythmic stomping sound, something like once a second, that starts at 7.30am and continues until 5pm. And so it has been since the start of 2009. It's March.
The impact on the local community has not gone without remark. Locals have been seen throwing rocks at this BFG (Big Friendly Giant) in a futile attempt to deafen the noise pollution. Despite the council bringing in a wall of 4 stacked sea containers to deaden the sound, the giant's heartbeat rings out loud and clear for all around to hear.
People who work in offices nearby have to deal with rattling tea cups and shuddering computer screens.
Those who finish a day at work (whether they are a stay at home mum, or someone in one of these said offices), experience their leisure hours with the memory of that pulse resonating in their body. People are getting sick, have trembling side-effects and have become generally nervous. I wonder how sleeping babies are coping and what the long-term effects will be on their development? Meditating each morning, while listening to that thrum, may be having some sort of effect on me, I can't be sure. Am I exaggerating? It'd break the giant's heart if he were to be to blame for any strange symptoms with lasting consequences.
I walk to work to the rhythm of the giant's heart; for every one beat, I take two steps. I end up walking rather slowly! The sound seeps underneath my massive headphones and interferes with whatever pop song or prelude I'm enjoying. Sometimes the beat falls into step and I feel the music from the top of my head to the vibration in my toes. Literally.
We all sleep through the night, thud-thud-thudding away to a sound that has long gone, but which will wake us, at 7.30am, on the dot. Dot. Dot. Dot.
I heard that the contracted company has claimed that there is no other way to treat the soil in that area other than ramming it (heien) - that other methods are not possible. A competitor company is claiming that there is another solution and the hearing will take place next week.
While we wait a week for the hearing to take place, will the clamour stop so that residents of Strijp and surrounding areas can recognise the beat of their own hearts? No, the local council needs works to continue. If all things go to the original plan the boinking sound can go on, we can look forward to the rucous until the end of April.
I admire this giant - his discipline, resolve and his incredibly strong and consistent heart. He has to make a living, just like the rest of us. But 10 weeks down the road, we need him to go back to where he belongs, so that we can get on with our mortal coils, to the pitter patter - of our own rhathymia*.
* rha⋅thy⋅mi⋅a  [ruh-thahy-mee-uh] –noun, carefree behavior; light-heartedness

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home