Advance Australia in four easy steps
Step 1
First I emailed the AEC (Australian Electoral Commission) enquiring whether I was still on an electoral roll. Anywhere at all, really.
I thought perhaps I'm still on the one in East Brunswick. Or at a stretch, maybe even on the Traralgon list ... if I was so diligent to update my details before my rapid departure in August last year.
Three emails later, I found my last electorate was Melbourne, under my Haines St address (how I loved that dear little flat in North Melbourne). Goodie, I thought, I get to put Lindsay back in his seat.
Step 2
Then I sent an application to register at my last electoral enrolment address. I received an email shortly afterwards to apply for a postal vote.
So I did. I did it via email in late October. Plenty of time. I read the AEC website thoroughly and I was looking forward to getting my materials in the mail in early November.
Step 3
But a couple of weeks ago, I got a letter saying that my application was rejected! Nonsense. Edwin heard what nonsense I thought it. So, I re-sent the exact same items I had originally sent via email - in hard copy.
Step 4
Today the postal vote came and I am about to pop it back in the mailbox. If the Dutch postal system doesn't fail me, don't ever say I would waste my vote by failing to register, or god forbid, donkey voting. (Even though it's technically mandatory) man, I earnt my right to vote this time.
And Bob, it hasn't gone to waste.
C'mon Aussies, 24 November 2007! I'll be waiting with baited breath.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home