Sunday, March 25, 2007

A bit out of Dutch

These last two days I've spent about 10 hours speaking Dutch.
  • Yesterday I spent a morning at Ed's nephew Nick's 6th birthday party where all the guests spoke Dutch.
  • Shortly after gulping down a slice of cake, I took a drive with Anke to Dusseldorf during which time she and I spoke mainly Dutch. Well, except for a bit of English when she bumped into an old friend whose Dutch repetoire only extended so far as: "Ben je niet getrouwd of ben je gescheiden?" ("Are you not married or are you divorced?)
  • And today I visited two of the most hospitable people you could ever meet: Alex, a very good Dutch speaking (but native English speaking) colleague of mine, and his (Dutch) wife Marjolein. They picked me up from Zaltbommel station and had baked me brownies and showed me all the sites of Zaltbommel in a little walking tour ... in return for speaking Dutch all the while. No really, they did me a great service to socialise at my lowly Dutch level.
  • Now I'm all out of whack and am sort of looking forward to my English lesson giving tomorrow. However, before I get to work, I have 2 hours with a Dutch driving instructor between 8 - 10am, and he knows I need to practise my Dutch!
  • But later on this week, I'll get back into the swing of things, back to attempting to become a Dutchified version of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home