Week 7: Things (Part II)
26 August - 31 August
As my Venice souvenir, I bought Jan Morris’ Venice and it’s a fabulous read. It’s somewhat disconcerting that when she wrote it, she was a he (James) and it was almost 50 years ago that she wrote the first edition sometime in the 60s. She updated it for the first time after becoming a woman in the 70s (as you do), then once more in the 80s, and more recently about 16 years ago. Some of the information and references are dated; do Venetians or rich holidaymakers still have uniformed maids? (Or did they as late as 1993?) There are now 4 bridges crossing the Grand Canal, not 3, as the fourth was opened in November last year – while two of the bridges are made of stone and the bridge near the Accademia is of wood, this new one is made of iron and glass. What is curious of all, in reading this historical observation is that Jan has fallen out of love with Venice, so I don´t know whether to relish this reading or not. I´m fascinated with the history of it, but if you find out that an author is no more empassioned by his/her subject, it takes the wind out of your reading sails, if you know what I mean. I´m almost done and up to book number … well, it´ll be book number 12 (!)for this trip!
As my Venice souvenir, I bought Jan Morris’ Venice and it’s a fabulous read. It’s somewhat disconcerting that when she wrote it, she was a he (James) and it was almost 50 years ago that she wrote the first edition sometime in the 60s. She updated it for the first time after becoming a woman in the 70s (as you do), then once more in the 80s, and more recently about 16 years ago. Some of the information and references are dated; do Venetians or rich holidaymakers still have uniformed maids? (Or did they as late as 1993?) There are now 4 bridges crossing the Grand Canal, not 3, as the fourth was opened in November last year – while two of the bridges are made of stone and the bridge near the Accademia is of wood, this new one is made of iron and glass. What is curious of all, in reading this historical observation is that Jan has fallen out of love with Venice, so I don´t know whether to relish this reading or not. I´m fascinated with the history of it, but if you find out that an author is no more empassioned by his/her subject, it takes the wind out of your reading sails, if you know what I mean. I´m almost done and up to book number … well, it´ll be book number 12 (!)for this trip!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home