Week 7: Places (Part II)
26 August - 31 August
Venice is really unlike anything you can imagine. When we got to the top of the Bell Tower in the PIazza, we had hoped to be able to see the canals that puzzle through this city on water, but were cruelly deceived by perspective. This is the view, 60 metres up from the ground. Still gorgeous.
St Mark’s Square is quite amazing. The hoards of tourists was not as overwhelming as I’d expected (from what the guidebooks say), but perhaps I was suitably braced for it. Or maybe it’s really the end of the season. Yes, people were in a hurry, and looked annoyed or lost and pushed in and shoved a deal, but we felt so Lucky to be on this trip and to be able to see all this. St Mark´s Basilica is beyond words. There´s a helluva lot of gold leaf in that building, more than 8000 sq metres!
The Campsite we chose was the Union Camping Lido – voted best European campsite some year or other. It is actually a resort, with bungalows and a hotel plus the campsite for plebs. There is a shopping mall, really!, and a private strip of the Lido beach for patrons’use. There are also 2 acqua parks. I felt like Baby in Dirty Dancing. There was even a fruit shop, with watermelons. At the dance that we stumbled upon last night, I could actually have said that line (had I have gone to said fruitshop and bought said watermelons.
Venice is really unlike anything you can imagine. When we got to the top of the Bell Tower in the PIazza, we had hoped to be able to see the canals that puzzle through this city on water, but were cruelly deceived by perspective. This is the view, 60 metres up from the ground. Still gorgeous.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home