Week 1 - Things
Trucks are everywhere on the roads in Europe. Well, except on Sundays. They contain all sorts of products, from strawberries from Holland, tomatoes from Italy, biscuits from Belgium. There always seems to be more German and French trucks on the road, with the odd Czech or Romanian type in the mix. Whatever the type or provenance, these diesel monsters plod along – slow and steady winning the proverbal race. But, I always like to check which nationality our little hard-working camper can overtake. “Take that, Poland”, I’ll say. “Eat our dust Hungary!”I’ll cry. I´m shallow, but our camper was doing 30km up a mountain the other day, so hooray for little triumphs.
We inherited a pet fly, christened Patrick by Edwin. He travelled for about 5 days from Creglingen to Füssen. (Mind you, he may have not been the same fly, but you know, we had six-feeted, winged company with us all the way and while it’s kind of gross, it was kind of nice to have someone else along fo the ride).
Walking along the quaint, forested path from Creglingen to H_______, just after the Thimble Museum (which was closed, unfortunately, during our ramble), my eyes locked with those of a young doe. She eyed me with mild surprise while I fumbled stupidly with the video camera and gasped to Edwin what (or who) I could see. She slipped noiselessly into the brush, never to be captured.
Schneebollen were advertised as a Frankish speciality. From how they looked, I thought they might be massive balls of marzipan, but when I tasted one, I must admit I was disappointed. As large as a softball, they are crimped strips of crumbly shortcrust pastry, woven into a round shape. They come in various flavours from vanilla, to chocolate to hazelnut I’m sure, but they are ultimately just not sweet enough or quite tempting enough to actually buy. We left the €6 packets in Dinkelbühl.
The art of ricocheting pebbles across a quite lake has been lost on the new generation. Edwin and I watched three teen girls try their hand at this age-old skill and witnessed their sad failure at every turn. Wrong rock selection, bad technique – honestly, underarm? – and much too much self-consciousness. We showed them how it is done. I mean, Edwin did.

1 Comments:
Tarp-ease-artiste... he he. Can't wait to see the honed skills. I'm imagining all sorts of high-flying stunts, using the tarp like a rhythmic gymnast's ribbon. In my mind, it's kind of Crouching-Tiger, Hidden Dragon style. Although, wrong continent.
Post a Comment
<< Home